SVP Welcomes Minnesota Urban Debate League as Newest Investee
We are excited to announce the Spring 2012 new Investee, Minnesota Urban Debate League (MNUDL), which serves over 400 primarily low-income and students of color from 23 schools in Minneapolis and St. Paul. Students debate complex governmental policy issues at local, regional, and national competitions while gaining critical thinking and research skills, as well as self-confidence.
SVP MN will provide a general operating grant and consulting, training, and other assistance for organizational capacity building.
The Due Diligence Team selected Minnesota Urban Debate League for the following reasons:
* It is focuses on at-risk youth. Last year the program served students from schools in Minneapolis and St. Paul that were 75% low-income, 65% students of color, and approximately 50% girls and 50% boys.
* Their achievement of impressive outcomes for participating students:
– 100% on-time high school graduation for core members of the high school program
– 100% acceptance to college for core members of the high school program
* Evaluation by an independent researcher found that participants increased their reading comprehension by more than 3 grade levels after just 1 year in debate.
– Students who debated more than 1 year performed more than a full grade level higher than controls.
– The program has experienced impressive growth since their launch 2 years ago growing from 13 schools to 23 and 175 students to over 400.
* Staff and board leaders show a real interest in receiving capacity building support as well as funding. Urban Debate is seeking assistance with strategic planning and financial modeling for planning growth.
* Augsburg College provides Urban Debate with significant support:
– Thirty-six scholarships reserved for Urban Debate students.
– In-kind back-office administrative services and support from the college’s fundraising staff valued at $50,000 – $75,000 annually.
You can “Like” MNUDL on Facebook.